With the criminals still at large, your students must decide the identity of the white powder found in the abandoned truck.
During this lab, students will do several presumptive tests on the unknown white powder. Following the presumptive tests, students will see how confirmatory drug tests are run in a police lab using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-Mass Spec). Students will then receive the data for the confirmatory drug test.
As in all Lyle and Louise modules, this kit is geared to high school and undergraduate courses and is matched to National Science Education Standards.
- 6 bottles of isopropyl alcohol
- 6 bottles of Lugol’s iodine solution
- Mystery powder for each group
- 6 known powders for each group
- Spot plates for each group
- Powder dispenser spatulas for each group
- Fully illustrated teacher’s manual with technique background
Required but not included
- Lab gloves
- Distilled water
- Pipettes for dispensing distilled water
- Permanent marker for labeling
This item can be shipped and stored at room temperature.